Streetsblog – Streetsblog is a daily news source connecting people to information about sustainable transportation and livable communities. Since 2006, Streetsblog has covered the movement to transform American cities by reducing dependence on private automobiles and improving conditions for walking, biking, and transit.
- After Traffic Count Drops Off a Cliff, Albuquerque Rushes to Widen Road, 10/13/14 – Streetsblog featured an article I wrote on UrbanABQ about misplaced local transportation funding priorities.
- Albuquerque Bike Advocates’ April Fools Prank Could Turn Prophetic, 4/2/15 – This was in response to an April Fools article about green bike lanes written collaboratively on UrbanABQ. It went viral in Albuquerque and forced a response from the mayor. As of 4/2/16, the city is planning on installing a large quantity of green thermoplastic on a popular bicycle corridor.
- Koch Brothers Tentacles Reach Out to Squelch Albuquerque BRT, 10/16/15 – Written in response to an UrbanABQ on the topic of out of state special interest groups working to defeat a rapid transit proposal in ABQ.
- Albuquerque’s Big Choice: Prioritize Streets for Transit, or Stagnate, 2/22/16 – Streetsblog covered our UrbanABQ article defending the proposed Albuquerque Rapid Transit project, otherwise known as ART.
“A Game Changer” for Albuquerque: Bus Rapid Transit Is a Go, 3/24/16 – Streetsblog summarized the city council vote of approval of Albuquerque Rapid Transit and the possible implications of this vote.
ABQ Journal – The primer local newspaper in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Walker/Cyclist Takeover, 8/11/14 – This article summarized the inaugural ABQ CiQlovia event, which I founded.
- Wonkblog: Why Millennials Are Shunning Cars, 10/14/14 – This article was a response to a report released by the Maryland Public Interest Research Group Foundation (PIRG) and the Frontier Group. I was quoted based on an article I had written for UrbanABQ.
- The Pros and Cons of ABQ Bus Rapid Transit, 9/18/15 – The front page article was based on a debate held previously in the week. I am quoted heavily along with two other experts on the project.
Albuquerque Business First – The primary business new publication in Albuquerque.
- Nextdoor Moves Quickly into ABQ, 4/21/14 – This article covered the work I was doing with two other individuals around Nextdoor, a social media platform designed for neighborhoods.
- Majewski: ABQ CiQlovía Will be a Boon to Biz, 8/15/14 – This article summarizes the benefits of open streets events to a community from a business perspective.
Albuquerque’s CiQlovía Sequel to Focus on Downtown Corridor, 8/14/15 – This article summarizes our second ABQ CiQlovía open streets event.
Local News Appearances, Albuquerque, NM
- Nob Hill neighbor Revives City-erased Crosswalk, 7/23/14 – I was quoted as a supporter of a tactical citizen created and installed crosswalk at Silver and Carlisle.
- New ABQ Streetfest to Encourage Walking, Biking, 9/8/14 – Article about the inaugural ABQ CiQlovia event I founded.
- Homemade Street Signs Pop Up in Downtown Albuquerque, 8/17/15 – I was quoted as a supporter of tactical “guerrilla way-finding” signs which appeared in Downtown Albuquerque. As of 4/4/16, the installer of these signs has yet to step forward publicly.
- Pro-ART Signs Appearing Along Central Avenue, 3/25/16 – A story about the YES ART NOW grassroots pro-transit campaign I worked on with other people.
The Weekly Alibi – Prominent alternative weekly newspaper in Albuquerque.
- Sound and Fury, Signifying Nothing. 4/17/16 – Though the article was not entirely accurate, it captured the Shakespearean absurdity observed at many of the Albuquerque Public Transit meetings. I was quoted as a supporter of the project.
Carfree in Burque – This is a now inactive web log based in Albuquerque. It featured topics relevant to a car free or car light lifestyle.
- Frequency Mapping, 8/8/10 – My ABQ Ride system map resign is featured and discussed in this post.
2 Wheelin’ in Tucson – This is a bicycle news feature on KVOA Channel 4 News in Tucson. I appeared in this feature twice.
- New City Code Irk’s Tucson 2 Wheelers, 3/3/11 – In the video, I am featured at 1:05 -1:55.
- 2 Wheelin’ in Tucson: U of A bike audit underway, 2/2/12 – In the video, I am featured at 1:40 – 1:50.
Tucson Velo – I have had many interactions with this site, the premier bicycle news source in Southern Arizona.
- A Tucson bicyclist takes the bus and likes it, 3/30/12 – This was a guest post I wrote for the website. The topic was real-time bus tracking information for the SunTran bus system in Tucson.
- Students create detailed bike map of UA campus, 4/8/11 – This post was written about a group class project I worked on. The project led to the creation of a dynamic interactive Google Map mashup, featuring bicycle routes to and from the University of Arizona. We embedded photos and videos we took along these routes into a Google Map.
- Parking letter of the day: Dan’s first letter to public officials, 3/23/11 – The title of this post is self explanatory. The post includes the full text of the letter itself. The topic of this letter was a proposed bicycle parking zoning code change.
Urban Transport Revolution – This was my primary blog between 2010 – 2011. The topics covered generally focused on transportation and urban planning concepts in Tucson and Albuquerque.